Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Watermelon Lemonade--refreshing!

I always have to double this recipe because it is quite popular--especially at outdoor BBQs! I'd recommend you use a really good citrus juicer (like the "citrus squeezer" at Crate and Barrel). The last time I made this recipe was for a Memorial Day BBQ at my home. I had two papercuts on my fingers and boy, did they sting when I squeezed all those lemons! But the end result was worth it. Make the drink several hours ahead of your party to give the drink time to chill. My husband does not like regular lemonade but he loves this drink. Have a great summer!

8 cups 1-inch pieces seedless watermelon (from about 4 1/2 pounds)
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
Ice cubes
Lemon wedges

Working in 2 batches, blend watermelon and lemon juice in processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to pitcher. Bring 3 1/2 cups water and sugar to boil in medium saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add hot syrup to pitcher with watermelon-lemon juice. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. Fill tall glasses with ice. Pour Watermelon Lemonade over and garnish glasses with lemon wedges.

No comments: