Monday, April 20, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

This is one of my mother's old standby recipes. It always tastes good when you're in the mood for faux mexican.

3-4 large chicken breasts 1 teaspoon sugar
1 c. chopped onion 1 teaspoon cumin
3 cloves garlic 1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 Tablespoons butter 1/2 teaspoon basil
1 16 oz. can tomatoes 12 oz. bag tortilla chips
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce 2 1/2 cup shredded jack cheese
1/4 c. chopped yellow chilies 1/2 - 1 cup sour cream

In a sauce pan, simmer chicken breasts in water to cover 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, carefully remove skin and bones and shred chicken into bite size pieces. In a sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. In a cassarole dish or crock pot combine the cooked garlic and onions, tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, chopped chilies, sugar, cumin salt, oregano basil and chicken. (If cooking in a crock pot, the chicken doesn't need to be precooked if it will be cooked for several hours). Heat thoroughly (30 min at 375 in oven). This mixture should be somewhat watery at this stage.
Add sour cream, jack cheese and tortilla chips, mix well and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes or until hot.


Changes: I have to change this recipe around because of availability issues and because I like WAY more veggies than my mom does. I usually drop the chicken breasts down to 2, instead of tomato sauce I take another can of canned tomatoes and blend them, and throw those in instead. We can't get yellow chilies, so in goes a few pieces of canned jalapeno(diced). I like to add about half a can of canned corn and a whole bunch of chopped green peppers in(I fry them up with the onions and garlic). Toy with it however you like. My potato lovin', wish-I-could-eat-casserole-all-the-time husband REALLY likes this recipe.

No comments: