Friday, October 19, 2007

Beef Chili for a Crowd

I love fall - and I love slow cooking in the fall/winter months. I especially love chili on rice (Hawaiian style). I made this yesterday. Hearty and mmmm...good. I didn't think this was spicy - my 3 year old did but my 1 year old couldn't get enough of it. If I was making it just for my hubby and I ...I'd kick-it-up with jalapeños.

Beef Chili for a Crowd
from Cuisinart Slow Cooker Cookbook
Makes 16 one cup servings

cooking spray
2 tsp good quality olive oil
1 1/2 lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp oregano
1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp paprika
1 red pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
1 green pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes, juices drained, separated
2 cans (3 oz) tomato paste, salt free
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 cans (15-16 oz) beans, drained rinsed and drained again (ie. black beans, pinto beans and/or red kidney beans)

Lightly coat the interior of the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart slow cooker with cooking spray.

Heat a 12-in non-stick skillet over med-high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil; sauté onions and garlic until soft. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Place in ceramic slow cooker bowl.

In the same skillet, heat another tsp of oil; cook ground beef until brown, breaking up clumps with the back of a spoon. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; chili powder; oregano, cumin and paprika; cook over low heat until spices are fragrant. Transfer meat mixture to Slow Cooker. Add sliced red, green, and yellow peppers. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine vinegar.

Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 hours using timer function; Slow Cooker will automatically switch to warm.

One hour before serving, turn heat to High. Stir in beans and slow cook until heated through.

No comments: